Breakfast at Tiffany’s (the movie)
…is one of those little things that remind me life is good.
Desayuno en Tiffany’s (la pelicula)
…son de esas pequeñas cosas que me hacen recordar lo buena que es la vida.
I specified that I was talking about the movie because I haven’t had the pleasure of reading the book, although I am sure it’s just as marvelous.
I love Breakfast at Tiffany’s because:
- Because the cat’s name is “Cat.” It’s a genius move because it reflects, on a face level, Holly’s quirky personality. And in a deeper level, it also reflects Holly’s struggle with her own identity. The cat doesn’t actually get a name by the end of the movie, but in a way it does: the audience comes to know the cat as “Cat” just as we come to know Lulamae as Holly.
- Because of the music theme “Moon river.” I love how they incorporate “Moon river” into most scenes.
- Because the opening scene, with Holly outside of Tiffany’s in that long, black dress, is powerful and sets the mood perfectly.
- Because Paul ends up dumping his “decorator,”a character I greatly despise.
- Because the characters don’t actually have breakfast at Tiffany’s.
- Because Holly manages to remain innocent, quirky and with a good sense of humor even when she knows how hard life can be.
- Because the movie touches on a struggle with identity most of us have lived, or are living through. Paul cannot figure out who he is if he is no longer the celebrated author. Holly cannot figure out who she is, so she tries to be what different men want her to be.
- But when Paul and Holly meet, they find it easy to be themselves in the company of each other.
- Because the last scene is a kissing scene in the rain, with a wet, pissed-off cat staring at them…And that is a happy ending if there ever was one.